COVID-19: We are operating as normal to ensure you remain compliant and legal with immigration requirements. Our opening hours are Monday-Friday 9:30am-6pm and Saturday 10am-2pm. Call us on 0161 224 4224
Sponsorship Licence for Employers 2020-07-23T12:39:36+00:00

Sponsorship Licence for Employers

If you are a business owner in the UK and wish to employ someone from outside of the UK and EEA for a particular job role you may require a Sponsorship License.

This means that your business will firstly need approval from the Home Office before you can hire any selected individual.

If you have successfully obtained a license, then it is important to note that an individual is not granted a visa based on your job offer, they must also apply for the correct visa and if granted, they can then join your company.

If your business is successful you will be given a licence rating and will be able to issue certificates of sponsorship (COS). Your license will be valid for up to 4 years.

To get a license, you can’t have:


  • You will need appropriate systems in place to monitor sponsored employees.
  • You will be required to appoint people within your business to manage the sponsorship process when you apply for a license
  • The fee for applying will depend on the size of your business. For small businesses the fee is currently £536. For Medium to Large business the fee is currently £1,476.

You’re usually a small business if:

  • your annual turnover is £10.2 million or less
  • you have 50 employees or fewer

The Law and requirements surrounding Sponsorship Licenses remain complex and rigid. A well-presented application requires input from competent immigration advisors.

MLC Immigration Lawyers highly skilled team can advise and help prepare your full application.

If you wish you enquire about a Sponsorship License or have any questions why not take advantage of our FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION to get you the advice you need.