Our experienced lawyers and caseworkers can assist you with your Personal Immigration matters. If you’d like to have an initial consultation, Contact Us today and we’ll do our best to help you.
British Citizenship – Naturalisation
You can apply to become a British citizen through naturalisation if you are 18 or over, you are of good character (i.e. no criminal record), you intend to continue living in the UK, you have good knowledge of English and life in the UK and meet the residence requirement.
There is a residency requirement which is:
- you must have lived in the UK for at least 5 years,
- in that time, you must have not spent more than 450 days outside the UK,
- spent no more than 90 days (3 months) outside the UK in the last 12 months,
- if you are from outside the EEA, you had settlement also knows as ILR for the last 12 months in the UK,
- if you are an EEA national, there is a requirement to provide a permanent residence document which will confirm you had permanent residence status for the last 12 months,
- and you have not broken any immigration laws whilst in the UK
Similarly, if your spouse is a British citizen you can apply for citizenship which also has requirements which include:
- your age being 18 or over,
- you are of sound mind,
- you have met the requirements of the knowledge of English and life in the UK,
- if you are an EEA national, you have been granted ILR or permanent residence,
- and you meet the residency requirement.
When sending your application, a bio-metrics will be mandatory from you. After applying, a decision will usually be made in 6 months, depending on the application some may take longer. Once you have received your certificate of British Citizenship, you must send your biometrics residence permit back to the Home Office. The UK allows dual nationality for its citizens however, some countries may not. In which case they can revoke your citizenship once you have become British therefore, it is imperative for you to contact your embassy before you decide to apply for naturalisation.
Fast Track Services
If you need to make an urgent application, we can help. Our Fast Track Service ensures your application becomes a high priority for our team of immigration experts. We work hard to make sure your application is prepared and submitted on time and to the highest standard.